Thursday, March 26, 2009

No Sleep 'Til Charlottesville

A-hoy-hoy, AIRCers and random browsers alike.  

Joseph Florence here (who you may well know as Joflo), chiming in from blustery, rainy Charlottesville, VA.  10 (I believe 10...) other delegates and I are roaming around puddle-littered streets, spending time wherever it can be found before Opening Ceremonies kick-off at 5:30 p.m. eastern.  After that, our first committee session will run from 7:30 to 9:30.  For those of you who don't know, we are representing the club and the University at VICS XIV - the fourteenth Virginia International Crisis Simulation.  Hosted by UVA, this conference holds a great deal of personal excitement for me because, for one, it is my second collegiate conference to attend, and two, it strides well outside the bounds of traditional MUN, as... well, it isn't really MUN at all.  Here, we'll be taking up posts as everything from members of the ETA, to soliders in the New York Mafia, to Somali pirates, to more than I can recall to list.  Personally, I'll be acting as a Marshal of Jerusalem circa 1170 - smack dab in the middle of the turmoil following the first and second crusades.  Rest assurred, I'll try to offer you some insight into just how my committee runs once things starting swinging.  For now, I'm happy to have the opportunity to take in the sights of Charlottesville, soaked and chilly might they be.  UVA has a beautiful campus.. lots of hills, which are a nice juxtaposition to the flatlands we call home in Tuscaloosa.  The drive up yesterday was admittedly long, but a good one.  I am looking forward to seeing on the way back what the dark took away from the scenic side of things.  

That said, I think I've monopolized my precious connection to mother internet for long enough.  A steep cup of joe and another handful of blocks walked await me.

You stay classy, internet.  More news at 11.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home